NAIT Optical Sciences ProgramsThe NAIT Optical Sciences Programs are accredited* optical training programs consisting of online theory courses and an extensive on-the-job clinical component. The Optical Sciences programs are produced by the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) and are administered by the Opticians Association of Canada (OAC) for students residing outside of the province of Alberta.
These programs are available throughout Canada and Internationally.
The following Optical Sciences training programs are available through NAIT:
- Eyeglasses Diploma Program (available in English and French) – the four-semester Eyeglasses Program will give you the knowledge and skills required of a licensed optician. Online theory is complemented by an on-the-job clinical. CLICK HERE to learn more.
- Contact Lens Certificate Program (available in English and French) – the two-semester advanced practice Contact Lens Program will give you the knowledge and skills required to dispense contact lenses. Online theory is complemented by an on-the-job clinical. CLICK HERE to learn more.
- Refracting Program (available in English only) - this program is intended for licensed Contact Lens fitters who wish to learn the theory and methodologies involved in refraction. Online academic studies are 15-weeks in length, the clinical component is 6 months. CLICK HERE to learn more.
- August 24, 2020 - All Optical Sciences Programs ; Application deadline is August 7, 2020
- January 4, 2021 – Eyeglasses Year One Only ; Application deadline is December 5, 2020
*Accredited by Accreditation Canada
The Opticians Association of Canada (OAC) has an extensive online continuing education library available to its members for use towards their professional learning requirements. The online library consists of electronic module articles as well as video modules. New content is consistently being added to the online library for the benefit of our members.
OAC members receive unlimited online modules per year as a benefit of membership.